- Do you represent out-of-school suspended clients in all counties throughout North Carolina?
Yes, the attorneys at The Law Offices of Keith L. Howard, PLLC represent suspended students in every county in North Carolina.
- Do I need an attorney if my child is recommended for a long-term suspension or expulsion from public school?
Your child has legal rights if the public school seeks to deprive him or her of public education. Without an attorney, you run the risk of your child being deprived of education when he or she may be innocent of the charges.
- What is a short-term suspension?
A short-term suspension is a suspension of 10 school days or less.
- What rights does a student have if he or she is short-term suspended?
Your child has the right to be told what he or she is being accused of and the right to explain his or her side of the story.
- What is a long-term suspension?
A long-term suspension is an out-of-school suspension of 11 days or longer.
- What rights does my child have if he is recommended for a long-term suspension?
Your child has the right to hire an attorney, to present evidence, to question the school’s evidence, to review the evidence against him or her, including any videos or written statements from other students, the right to a recording of the hearing, and the right to have the case decided based on substantial evidence.